
Here is a little collage of my Munchkin!!! Ain't he just the most adorable thing?!?! He was born Jan 6th, 2009 at 2:33 pm. He was 7 lbs 3 oz and 20 inches long!! Here is a little story about the crazy day he was born!!
It was a Tuesday morning and I went in for my regular doctors apt. and every thing seemed fine... I even had lost a pound since the week before!!! I told the nurse that Eli hadn't been moving much at all lately so my Doctor told me to go next door to the hospital for a biophysical (non stress test and ultrasound) to make sure everything was ok... They hooked me up to the fetal monitors and his heartbeat was strong and good and i was contracting ever 5-11 minutes... then i went for my ultrasound and the ultrasound tech was joking and laughing with us. About half way through the session she said he wasn't moving at all and then got real quiet... but his heart was beating normal and was receiving enough oxygen... he got a 4 out of 8 on his Biophysical Profile... which is bad.. you want a 6 out of 8 or more. After the ultrasound I went back to my room to wait for the radiologist to look at the ultrasound. After being in the room for 5 minutes my doctor comes in and says "Well, your baby flunked... he got a 4 out of 8... which isn't good.. he needs at least a 6 our of 8..." Then I asked if it was my fault and he said "No, but we'll have to deliver today... by c-section .. b/c you're not progressed enough" I was only a fingertip dilated at my apt. that morning... SOOOOO... Immediately after that I started crying because I was so nervous... My mom had JUST left the hospital 5 minutes earlier and my husband was down in the cafeteria eating because he hadn't eaten breakfast. So I got that news alone. I called him and was trying not to cry and he was like.. "Are you serious?!!? Don't joke with me Kristen." He came up stairs and then we were both crying!! I called my mom and she came back up.. She was in uniform (my mom is a deputy) and everyone thought I was an inmate!! HA!. She works at the jail in transport.. meaning she takes the people in jail to either other jails or Dr's apts. and she goes to that hospital alot. So everyone thought I was an inmate.. and I was like NOOO!!! Any who... this was all around 12:30 and the dr. wanted to deliver around 2!! So we were calling and texting everyone. Brandon was crying the whole time. I was too. The nurse came in and gave me an i.v. of penicillin because I am GBS positive.. and let me tell you.. it burned like a mother father going in!!! It was insane!!! I cried... then she shaved me and took me to the delivery room!!! They gave me a shot to numb me from the chest down. I was shaking I was so nervous. Then I couldn't feel anything but I could see them moving my legs around. That was funny! Then they put the sheet up and started prepping me. Then they brought Brandon in and got started. He was crying the entire time. It was soo sweet!!! Within minutes Eli was born!! His cry was so beautiful!! He had the cord wrapped around his neck and a true knot in the cord too!!! That's probably why he wasn't moving so much anymore. The doctor said that having a true knot in the cord is very rare (will paste definition on bottom of post) and that it could have potentially have been fatal (to Eli) if we hadn't done the non-stress test. Then they cleaned me up and stitched me up and I went into recovery. All the rest is boring compared to the beginning of the day. Except for the part where I got to hold my son for the first time!! He is so beautiful!! I love him so much I can't even describe it!!! I'm sooo glad he is here and that we caught the problem before it took his little life. I would have died if I lost him. BUT... my prince is home with hubby and me and we are sooo happy!!!
*True Knot*
True knots and false knots can form in the umbilical cord. True knots occur in approximately 1% of pregnancies, with the highest rate occurring in monoamnionic twins. False knots (kinks in the umbilical cord vessels) are more common.
True knots arise from fetal movements and are more likely to develop during early pregnancy, when relatively more amniotic fluid is present and greater fetal movement occurs. True knots are also associated with advanced maternal age, multiparity, and long umbilical cords.True knots have been reported to lead to a 4-fold increase in fetal loss, presumably because of compression of the cord vessels when the knot tightens.
False knots have no known clinical significance.Detection of umbilical knots has been reported with ultrasonographic imaging. Prenatal diagnosis has occurred largely in monoamniotic twins, when the condition was specifically sought.
A cesarean delivery may be considered if a diagnosis of a true cord knot is made. The usefulness of antenatal testing in the followup of pregnancies with this condition is uncertain.

No comments:
Post a Comment